Q4 2019 Edition Of Venture Investments In Space Market
Jan 15, 2020
Welcome to the Q4 2019 edition of Venture Investments in Space Market.
Let’s take a look at a detailed report on venture investment in the space market, prepared by Noosphere Ventures.
According to public figures collected by Noosphere Ventures, 38 rounds were closed in Q4 2019, with a total investment of US$696M. Nearly 94 funds participated in the funding. Most of the closed deals were later-stage VC, Debt and early-stage VC as well.
Almost half of the companies (47%) which received investment are in the US. Compare to Q3 2019 numbers, the European market share grew by 3%.
Among the top 3 biggest deals of Q4 2019 are:
- US$160M (debt) investment in Kacific – credit facilities secure long-term financing that enables Kacific to repay short-term facilities used to fund the construction, as well as associated infrastructure and launch costs of Kacific1 payload, which is commencing operation in early 2020;
- US$140M investment in Relativity, which will use the funds to advance its 3D-printing technology and develop its test site (Jackson, Mississippi), and rocket launch facility (Cape Canaveral, Florida);
- US$71M investment in Landscape – the new finding will be mainly used for the development of a new launch vehicle, the two-stage Zhuque-2 (Vermillion Bird-2) medium-lift one. The funding will also go towards the verification of reusable rocket technology.
The second group of largest funding deals sees Orbital Insight (US$50M), Satellogic (US$50M), BlackSky (US$50M) and Capella Space (US$29.4M).
Q4 report highlights Noosphere Ventures (investments in Firefly Aerospace), Space Angels Network (investments in SpaceX and Planet) and Seraphim Capital (investments in Spire and Iceye) as top funds with successful space-tech oriented portfolio.
About Noosphere Ventures
This is a team of professionals who believe in New Space and are building a streamlined space business ecosystem. We invest in world-class teams, technologies and business systems that can change the world.
Managing partner of Noosphere Ventures Max Polyakov is the founder and advisor of a number of startups that have grown into international businesses. These include companies such as HitDynamics Ltd, AlarIT Ukraine, Cupid Plc, and Maxymiser Ltd.
Noosphere Ventures manages a global portfolio of companies with offices in 16 countries and 5,500 employees. Noosphere Ventures has invested over US$100M in the small-satellite launch vehicle startup Firefly Aerospace and is investing in the Earth Observation Data Analytics platform (EOS DA), Space Electric Thruster Systems (SETS) and other projects.
If you have a relevant business that is looking for venture capital funding, submit your business plan for review [email protected].
Our professional team has excellent investment and technical background, and our expertise helps to assess the prospects of projects and pursue it for many years to come.
For questions & feedback about the report — [email protected].
Follow our Facebook page to know more about space investment
Read more from Noosphere Ventures:
- D-Orbit launches its first ION Satellite Carrier
- Firefly aims to debut its Alpha rocket this fall
- Q2 2020 Edition Of Venture Investments In the Space Industry
- ASKfm celebrates the 10th Anniversary
- Q1 2020 Edition Of Venture Investments in Space Market
- Firefly Aerospace Achieves AS9100 Quality Certification
- Firefly signs launch agreement with Spaceflight
- In parallel with rocket development, Firefly launches lunar lander initiative
- Meet the Noosphere Ventures team at the 5th Annual SmallSat Symposium
- Q4 2019 Edition Of Venture Investments In Space Market