Firefly Aerospace Achieves AS9100 Quality Certification
May 07, 2020
Important quality milestone reached as Firefly transitions from developmental phase to first launch of the Firefly Alpha rocket.
CEDAR PARK, TX – May 6, 2020 – Firefly Aerospace, Inc., a leading provider of economical and dependable launch vehicles, spacecraft, and in-space services, today announced it has secured AS9100 quality certification as it advances from developmental to production phase ahead of the inaugural flight of its Alpha launch vehicle later this year.
Firefly has passed all quality audit requirements and received its AS9100 certification, the widely adopted and standardized benchmark designed to ensure quality management practices across the aerospace industry. Additionally, Firefly requires all suppliers to be AS9100 certified, which has bolstered its quality assurance program as qualification tests this spring lead to full production capabilities.
“Our AS9100 certification marks a key milestone in the maturation of Firefly as we move from development into the production phase of the Alpha launch vehicle. We are well positioned to take on new contracts and development opportunities,” said Dr. Tom Markusic, Firefly CEO. “At Firefly, we blend heritage-space principles used to achieve high reliability with NewSpace nimbleness and flexibility, allowing us to rapidly develop economical and high-quality products.”
Firefly will leverage its AS9100-certified quality assurance program in support of a broad range of spacecraft, including its Alpha launch vehicle, Beta launch vehicle, Genesis lunar lander, and Orbital Transfer Vehicle.
The Alpha launch vehicle will meet the demands of the burgeoning small-satellite market by combining the highest payload performance, 1 metric ton to Low Earth Orbit (LEO) and 630 kilograms to 500 kilometers Sun Synchronous Orbit (SSO), with the lowest cost per kilogram to orbit in its vehicle class. Alpha will provide launch options for both full vehicle and rideshare missions.
“This important AS9100 certification formalizes the strict focus on quality that Firefly has always demanded of itself and its suppliers and partners,” noted Paul Garland, Firefly’s Director of Quality Assurance, who has nearly 35 years of experience driving quality operations for leading aerospace companies. “Firefly’s certified quality processes provide further assurance to our commercial and government customers that we will successfully execute their critical space missions.”
Follow our Facebook page to know more about space investment
Read more from Noosphere Ventures:
- Noosphere Ventures aims to build an integrated space powerhouse: Q&A with managing partner Max Polyakov
- Noosphere Venture Partners Supports International Student Art Contest
- EOS Data Analytics to Launch the first agriculture-focused satellite constellation by 2024
- General Atomics Awards Contract to Firefly Aerospace Inc. to Launch NASA’s Multi-Angle Imager for Aerosols Mission
- NASA Awards Firefly Aerospace $93.3M to Deliver Suite of Payloads to the Moon in 2023
- SETS to Demonstrate In-Space Performance as Part of Firefly Aerospace’s Debut Alpha Launch
- Firefly Black Awarded NASA Venture Class Launch Services Demonstration 2 Contract
- EOS Data Analytics to Launch a Satellite with Dragonfly Multispectral Imagers in 2022
- D-Orbit launches its first ION Satellite Carrier
- Firefly aims to debut its Alpha rocket this fall